Tuesday, March 21, 2006

April Fool.

It started in ancient Rome by accident. The king passed a new decree that henceforth the year would begin from 1st January, and not on 1st April as the prevalent custom was. Since his was a large kingdom, and the telephone had not been invented yet, it took time for the whole kingdom to get to know of this change. This resulted in half the people celebrating New Year’s Day on 1st January, and the other half on 1st April. As it is human nature to make fun of other’s mistakes, the ones who celebrated on the right day ridiculed the other half, and called them April Fools. And since then year after year, the practice continues worldwide, making it a tradition of sorts that every year on 1st April, someone has to become an April Fool. Since people don’t become fools by them selves, the others - who are working with the sole purpose of keeping old traditions alive of course - go out and make a few April Fools every year.

This year, I was one of them. No, not the one concerned about dying traditions. I am usually one of those every year. But this year I became a target of someone who was highly concerned about the dying traditions. I am not dumb. I know I can draw up a list of people who can argue otherwise but trust me: I am not dumb. I am just a naïve, innocent, sentimental fool. And of course, this coupled with the fact that he did all this a good 15 days before April Fool’s Day, justifies the entire deal of me falling for it. I mean, come on. You don’t expect someone to make an April Fool out of you on the 15th of March, now do you? I don’t.

But I should have seen it coming. The person, who it came from, coupled with the atrociousness of his story: I should have seen it coming. I did not believe him for sometime initially, but he was convincing. Very convincing. All I can say now is that is was a good one. And that I fell for it.

But Rajeev, now that you are not going back home to Jamshedpur, and are obviously here in Mumbai, you’d better watch out dude. Because revenge is something I highly believe in. And we can’t let the traditions die just like that…hai na?

Happy April Fool’s Day!
(In advance)

Until next time…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur previos post is actually very touchy and now i'm seriously contemplating moving back to jamshedpur :D

Anonymous said...

Hi

What should i say. I enjoyed it...smart one Rajeev.

But may be he wasnt fooling around, may be he was serious but then when you wrote that touchy blog for him, he must have missed you so much that he decided to turn it into an April Fool joke.

Anyways, serious or not, the bottom line is he back in Mumbai & you are happy.

Njoi :)

RBD