Monday, May 12, 2008

So Much For Your Promises

I have always found promises to be an interesting topic, and yesterday when the topic came up with a friend, we had a good debate over it. She believes that if a promise is made it should be kept, and hence she rarely makes a promise to someone. I believe that it is not always possible to keep a promise, for life has certain plans of it’s own that we know naught about. And no matter how good our intention is to honor the promise, sometimes it just can’t happen!
So I believe that you should try. Kyonki koshish hi kamyaab hoti hai... promises are toh meant to be broken!
(I have a feeling of déjà vu, which means that I have already written this in some other blog. If you have read it already... read it once more!)
I have had many experiences in this chotu sa life of mine. In some I have been unable to honor the promises I made and in some, I was at the other end – someone couldn’t keep a promise they made. And most of the times, the person who had promised, was not at fault. Life was at fault.
Life.
My favoritest topic.
(I know... I know... favoritest is not a word in the English dictionary. But it is a word in my dictionary so learn it. It refers to the top-most thing in the list of your favorite things, when ranked in an descending order of preference – that is, the most preferred among preferences)
But we’re not doing life here, as of now. We’re doing promises.
The question that arises is, should you make promises and try to fulfill them and if not possible, then break them, or should you not make promises at all.
Guess the answer is a personal choice.
My answer, you know: try, try and try harder. And if not happening, sorry boss, better luck next time. No need to get your knickers in a twist and all because you couldn’t fulfill a promise. It’s not the end of the world. You will get another chance, another promise.

“So much for your promises.”
- Kitty in Ptolemy’s Eye, when Nat promises he’ll be back and then goes and dies.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hmmm...
well thats why i have my own customised (or plagarised) dialogue:
"I don't promise but I'll try my best..."

and lehar, i apologise but i dunno when your birthday is...honestly... and really sorry for that...

cute n confused said...

ahem.
wht can i say.
u jerk??????
: P

Subodh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.