Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Other Side Of The Coin

While in South India, I would feel left out when two South Indians spoke in their mother tongue. I would think that these people have no basic manners, speaking in a language that I cannot understand, right in front of me, when I am present and a part of the group.
Today, I was on the other side. A colleague and I were speaking in Hindi for quite some time, when I suddenly realized that the third person walking with us was a Tamilian, and did not understand Hindi.
Of course I apologized, and we switched to English immediately, but I also realized that it’s not that people lack basic manners, but it’s that anyone just can’t help talking in their mother tongue.
My typical jumping to conclusions, proved wrong once again.
Until next time…

6 comments:

sachin said...

its great fun to talk in our mothertongue esp.when other person can't understand it... :) you could have continued in hindi for fun.. :))

cooldivay said...

Its more abu the the connect you get with the person while talking in mothertounge, Because of which we normally forget other people around :P.. Selfish we :P

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

How rude!

cute n confused said...

@ram - its very irritatin to be the person who is not undersanding it, trust me have been there too many times!
@divya->yeah u just kinda get so carried away na, ki realise hi nahin hota!
@biks->who me?? dude..it wasnt intentional at all.. there are ppl who do it intentionally, thy r rude!

RiĆ  said...

I generally dont do that...i prefer speaking in hindi or english outside home even if a meet someone from my native place. :) I know how it feels to be on the other side.

cute n confused said...

i knw, i usually dont indulge in it either, but sometimes the connect is so much more wen ur talking in ur own langauge na.. i tend to forget!