Monday, April 07, 2008

Hey Girly

After 24 years of living like a tom-boy, and refusing to do any beauty-thingi's, I finally went to the parlor to get my hair blow-dried. Usually I used to go there just for a haircut, in and out in like 10 minutes max. But considering that the occasion demanded that I look a little presentable (had to get a photograph clicked for the placement brochure) I realized that since nothing else about me can be made beautiful in such short time, might as well do something to the damn tangle on my head called hair. So I sat there, let her pull on my hair with a brush made of pig hair (eewwww) simultaneously attacking it with a blast of hot (very hot) air, actually paid her a bomb for it and left looking nice. Really nice. Finally I understood why all models have hair while I had a tangle. Because they did this pulling-hot-air torture regularly. But it was worth the pain. My hair was shining, all lustrous and curling a bit at the ends and all nice and voluminous as compared to the flat thing I had to make do with regularly. This whole exercise made me realize that why exactly do people take the pains to look good. (People as in girls). I never really got the hang of wasting hours in front of the mirror to apply makeup but in such a way that your face looks natural and devoid of any make up. (Rather not put it in the first place right?) Or this blow-drying routine that many of my friends follow regularly. (I mean its pig hair, for god's sake, if not the pigs!) But now I get it. Looking good, or rather feeling that you are looking good, does wonders for your confidence and mood. Just feeling that I was looking nice that day actually made feel like a princess. It made me wonder exactly why I lived a tomboyish life for 24 years where I could have felt like this every day.

I introspected (big word na?) to realize that the answer was very simple: it's just not me! Ya its expensive ( oh boy o boy… very expensive) and time consuming but people who really want to get it done get it done. I'm just not one of them. I don't need to do this to feel like a princess, I can just talk to my dad and feel like that. :-D
But I don't condemn this whole routine as much as I did when I hadn't gone through it myself. Typical me, judging without experiencing. I am a bit more tolerant to people who love makeup and hair do's. But I am not one of them. It felt nice to be a part of their world for those few hours, but it felt even better to be back in my world today morning when I left home with dripping wet hair, falling flat on the sides of my face.

Until next time…

9 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hahahahahaha...
thats all i can say!!!
no wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
(with me pointing my ifnger at you, clutching my stomach and laughing my guts out!!!)

Meenakshi Rehani said...

bikrams such a bastard!


well, thats not saying much about me cos i laughed like crazy when i saw him all suited up!!

cute n confused said...

biki-> ch ch ch...very bad biks, hiding ur insecurities like tht by pretending to laugh..just bcoz u cant EVER look like a princess doesnt mean u be jealous of other ppl who can!my sympathies to u dearie...
Rohan -> i second (3rd 4th and 5th) that stmt abt biks...thnx for the vote of confidence, and biks deserves exactly wht u did!
:D

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

you guys are just jealous!
that was a great pic!!!
and yeah...i laughed at that pic when i first saw it too!
i look like i got into harvard or something!
:P
hehehehehehhehehehehehe...
(ok, now im clutching my stomach and laughing my guts out!)

Meenakshi Rehani said...

@ lehar.. actually, biks can look like a princess.. a very masculine one at that..

hahahahah!!!!


also, im blog rolling you. if that's an issue, let me know.

cute n confused said...

rohan-> ya ya..go ahead!
and biki as a princess??
:D
okkk....now i'm imagining!!

cute n confused said...

as an after thought...a princess called biki in a bikini
:D

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

dagnabbit...
me as a princess?
what you think im a fairy?
well im not...
although you guys have gotta read this...
http://fairmaidenintrouble.blogspot.com/2008/02/advantages-of-being-gay.html
hilarious i tell ya!

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.