Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Being Biki

Disclaimer: This write-up is solely based on the perceptions of the author and should not be taken too seriously, as in the words of Mr. Ramji, perceptions are like shadows and you can’t fight with shadows.

There is this guy in my class, the place where I’m doing my MBA, and his name is Bikram.
He too is doing his MBA there.
He is a weird character, and like most weird characters, he is adorable too.
His pet names range from bikini to biki to biks, and he doesn’t care a damn as to what people call him, he responds just as nicely to any name.
He usually keeps to himself, and his earphones, and if he does indeed venture out in class to speak, he ends up having an argument with the prof (in a lungii) over something as profound as love.
Profundity is his favorite pass-time, and he has an absolutely different pov for everything in this world.
Sometimes you can really widen your thinking-horizons by listening to him as he brings into perspective what I like to call, the third side of the coin. Most of the times, you tend to disagree violently, because as we all have been taught, a coin has only two sides, and stubborn that we are we just can’t agree that it may even have a third side.
Being what it is that he is, mostly you end up leaving it at “Let’s agree to disagree.”, but you can’t budge him from what he thinks, for the love of anything.
He never forces his views onto anyone, and doesn’t let the opposite happen either.
He just goes on arguing his case non-stop until you either agree, or give up, or agree to disagree.
He gives you a fair chance to convince him of your pov, he’s that magnanimous, but very few people do actually manage to change his view on anything.
He walks around carrying a ladies hand bag (of a lady friend, not his, of course!) because he thinks it’s the right thing to do, and turns a deaf ear to what people think, and what they perceive it to be.
Stubborn? Maybe.
He likes to write, and has a damn good rhyming sense.
Sometimes he even has a streak of humor while writing. (Sometimes. Mostly, it’s either Poona or some profound topic).
He loves Poona, his hometown to pieces, and will fight till eternity proving it is better than Bombay. (Which it is not. But I humor him sometimes, only so that he’d shut-up about it!)
He’s a food lover, a Jughead reincarnate, and much to the dislike of people like me, does not put on any weight, no matter how much he eats. Mac D’s, Vertigo @ Mocha, and Omelets happen to be some of his favorites that I know of.
To see a list of all his favorite food items, and restaurants, you need to buy a copy of Rashmi Uday Singh’s latest edition of The Good Food Guide. I can bet my last rupee (which in such market conditions is a BIG deal!) that 98% of the restaurants listed there will also figure on his favorites list.
He claims to be his own critic, much in line with his “I’m entitled to my views” policy.
He’s a darn good listener, and he never judges people.
But he also expects people to not judge him, or anyone else.
Over-optimistic? Maybe.
He pretends to be lost, indecisive, a person who does not know where he is going.
But, in fact I have never met anybody who is as sure about who they are, what they are, and what they want to do. (Except maybe this another fellow I know. But he doesn’t count, as he’s’ 24 going on 55.)
He may not know it at a conscious level, but sub-consciously he knows what all he (biki, not 24-goin-on-55) doesn’t want to be, and thus arrives at what he wants to be by method of elimination.
He needs to figure it out at a conscious level though.
He’s going to flip about this write-up, even though he pestered me to write it, and disagree with a whole lot of points.
After reading the previous statement, he’s going to deny flipping over it, and maybe (if I’m lucky) he won’t disagree with most of it either.
He’s also going to be laughing a lot when he reads this.
You will definitely like him when you meet him, but it is very difficult to be like him.
You need to be the biggest bhukkad, with a really big appetite, amazing listening skills, an established, unshakable view on everything in the world, in love with The Joker (Heath Ledgers, god bless his soul, to be precise) of the latest batman movie, and never ending love for Poona to be like him.
That’s all it takes for Being Biki.

Until next time…

p.s: Biks, this one’s for you dude! And as much as it will piss you off, you are not allowed to comment on it here, at least until the comments cross, say 10. What you can do is mail this to anyone and everyone you feel like, and ask them to agree/disagree and leave their comments!! : P

19 comments:

Da said...

clarification: i am not bikram, i'm bikram. my experience of bikram, being the bikram that i am, has been far from the typical reaction one would expect from him. for instance, i have never seen the side of him where he's unshakeable from his views. ofcourse, what with our bikramy natures, our views are usually parallel and coterminous at the same time. i will agree with his love for pune, his voracious writing, his being his own critic, and definitely his 'may the devil give a damn, cuz i sure don't' attitude about others' perception of him. nice analysis...

Meenakshi Rehani said...

i haven't read this post yet but soon will.
Actually, I'm tuned to the WWW for anything concerning Biki.
So when this was written, it became my sole objective to praise Biki to the sky.

I had to wade through shark infested waters, fight pirates on the high sea & outrun rabid dogs to access the internet, but it was all worth it to say this - BIKI DA MAN!!!!



i'll read and comment later as well..

R

cute n confused said...

bikram (the ones who's not bikram, but is bikram)-> thnx..i did try to be fair in the analysis, but u really cant find something wrong abt bikram..atleast i cant (bikram as in, the ones who's not bikram, but is bikram)..so u may add those points here!
Rohan-> u dont have to give him an ego massage, i think i did enuf of tht already! i'm looking for someone to disagree here, and gimme somethings abt biki tht i dont knw yet..try tht...
:)

Saurabh said...

Hmm ....
Okay. I have known Bikram since kindergarten and he is not like a lot of things you mentioned.

For beginners, I have never seen him hog in the 20+ years I have known him. Even at my free unlimited buffet lunch treat, he had normal proportions and left before the desserts.

Hence when you say he eats like no tomorrow, its surprising because he always seemed like the anorexic-competing-with-Calista-Flockhart-guy in our group.

We have rarely ever agreed to disagree - most of the times, one person's staunch view settles the dispute.

He hates Mumbai - and loves Pune to bits - that's true. But then, he loves everything about him. Even his cello taped bike which has gone through hell with him - he loves.

He is a pathetic driver on the bike and I am sure will never, ever get insurance for the countless accidents he has gotten himself into.

On the other hand, he is the complete opposite in the car. He drives sooooooooo sloooooowly that bullock carts can overtake him without any effort.

And regarding this post, I bet he's feeling damn honoured right now and at the same time very, very pissed for not being able to comment on the post.

Maybe we should keep comments on this post limited to 9 only. That'll drive him insane :)

Anyways, this is starting to sound like an eulogy - so I'll stop at this.

I really hope you're not dead - and won't be for quite a while atleast...

Sneha said...

am amazed at the fact that everyones got the same perception of him.this just shows hes got strong traits,but i do not agree to the fact he loves to eat,iv never seen him eat though..
i believe he just eats to live..:)

MJ Singh said...

...it seems u'll have to post a pic of him binging to convince people... hehe

nice post... done justice to the character that he is...

KAPPI said...

hmhm comment!!!!!!!!!!!

cute n confused said...

saurabh->either u eat more thn him, hence his appetite seems normal to u, or u havent really seen him eat! : D
he is by no stretch of imagination aneroxic! (atleast the him tht i knw of)
i agree, lets freeze comments at 9!!
Sneha-> he definitely lives to eat and not vice versa!!
m s Alhuwalia-> pic of him available at his blog, link to which is thr on my blog under links.
kappi-> dont waste comments, as we r really trying to keep this under 10 so tht biki can get tortured for a bit longer!

Sneha said...

i guess the post is about bikram and not you.so i have a right to disagree and if its only about people speaking in favour of you as to what u think of him then why ask others to comment ???

Psy said...

Alright Lehar what did he bribe you with.

cute n confused said...

saira->nothing yet, but i am demanding a lifetime supply of chocolates (after i get off my diet, that is!)
biks->we've crossed 10, so the floor is now open to your views!
:D

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

@Everyone:> Thank you for those flattering comments and descriptions, I feel like a rockstar! I thought I might get a little flak here but somehow public humiliation has been spared! You guys are the best!

@Bikram:> (the one who isn’t me but is Bikram) we seldom if ever have disagreed, what with us being brothers, I reckon that mightn’t happen too often! Writing is second nature to me, I cant help it, (even though people might want me stop now!) Me being my own critic is more from the fact that I am a narcissist and believe I am the centre of the universe! Hehehe…

@Rohan:> thank you for not reading the post…I’m sure, a “monster” has you tied up!

@Saurabh:> well, there is little that you don’t know so what can I say? About my being calista flockhart reincarnate or jughead reincarnate, well I’m both actually…my eating habits are similar to that of a camel’s, I hog a lot some days, eating the equivalent of 2 people and then some days, im eating the equivalent of a bird…

@Sneha:> I repeat what I just said to Saurabh about my eating habits!

@Mohan:> thanks a ton sir! And the comment about eating echoed out to you too! Although I do have a pic of me binging should anyone need any more convincing!

@Kappi:> Reply…

@Sneha:> Excercising your right to freedom of expression I see! But at the same time so was Lehar and the post isn’t about me dear, it is about lehar’s perception of the enigma that is me…relax, everyone has an opinion…

@Saira:> Sweetheart, I bribed her with a lifetime supply of chocolates (and pestered her for days on end for this!) what can I tempt you with to put up something like this? And I would be very interested at hearing all the abuse you have pent up for me. 

And last but not the least, to dear Lehar:> I am all those nice things you put up about me but only occasionally. My views on everything are after all, simply those- mine. I do not expect anyone else to ascribe to them, nor do I believe I could ascribe to anyone else’s views. Heck I believe Einstein’s mass energy equation is wrong but that’s just my opinion! I argue my side for the simple reason that I would love to hear what the person in front of me has to say, expands my own views on everything. I am not the third side of the coin, I am that side which the other person isn’t and rarely if ever do I have my own opinion, my likes or my dislikes about anything. I could argue with one person on one side and at the same time be arguing with another person on the other side! (And very often, as S would agree, I can be a bullheaded, opinionated, idiot…but then that is my way of arguing something…years of debate teach you that, I am sure Bikram would agree with me!) And I love Pune to bits, nothing in the world could change that opinion about my hometown for me, no matter what…and I will have you know, Bombay is my second most favourite city in the world but that is because I have only ever lived here and in Pune… Nothing personal but maybe you need to visit Pune with me someday to understand what I mean… And no, I don’t know myself and I don’t know where I am going or what I wanna do even at a subconscious level. The only thing I know is what I shouldn’t be doing. But I guess that’s half the battle, so…
I did laugh a lot, I did flip about it and I didn’t wanna admit I did! And there is one more thing that it takes to being Biki…but we’ll leave that for you to figure out yourself!

And yes, i was itching to write this for long!
damn you guys for restricting me!

And finally and honestly, I am surprised so many expressed an opnion! But thanks a ton guys! (I also apologise for spamming you to force some of you to comment! :P )
Hehehe… love you all!
And Lehar, thank you sooooo much! I feel like a rock star!

MJ Singh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MJ Singh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MJ Singh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MJ Singh said...

Biki Dear, u r right, Einstein's equation is wrong and just in case u missed out on this bit of history, it has already been proven wrong. Specifically speaking, his assumption that speed of light is constant is wrong :)

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hehehe...
mohan, i am aware of that said anamoly. but that is only a minor glitch, perhaps the greatest error in the equation is his ignorance of the fact that in
e=mc^2
mass could be negative! which brings the concept of anti-matter into the picture...

cute n confused said...

biki->welcome :)
(i'm STILL waiting for the first installmnt of the bribe to come in.... : P )
and as for more things being u, i'm glad i havent figured thm all yet, makes me look forward to analysing u a bit more everytime we meet! if i knew wht makes u, u, it wld become boring...right!?
:)

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hehehe...probably so i guess...
but then, people keep changing with every passing day so no matter how well you know them, there is always something you didn't know about them!
and your first installment shall arrive soon...like tomorrow soon!!!