Sunday, January 15, 2006

Traditions

Living in a metro city for most of my life, i haven't seen a lot of traditional traditions.
you know... the cutely senti ones that happen in almost every house in north india.
they happen in my dadu's house..
they happen in my nana's house..
and its only in these places, or well, in movies, that i get to be a part of them.
it's not that we don't like to be traditional.
its just that we dont have the time to be traditional.
this i think is one of the major drawbacks of a nuclear family.
the children loose out on their traditions, on their culture, on something that is their basic right.

we went to a rajasthani mela today, the full family,(which is pretty much just the four of us...)
there was this dance being performed there..very typically rajasthani..forgot the name (shame on me) in which a woman was balancing about 8 matka's on her head and dancing on a plate, and later on swords. i was obviously highly fascinated. and even more so, when mom told me that she too did this when she was young and in college etc!
imagine..and i didnt even know such type of an art existed. i got enthu and all and asked the name of the dance and some general trivia which mom and dad very happily supplied, only to come home and sit in front of the comp and realise that i've forgotten everything said to me. even the name of the dance.
shame on me.
and i say i'm from rajasthan.
double shame on me.

but u know... it's not my fault. out of the very litttle and precious time that i get to communicate with my family, which implies that all of us are at home together, which is a very rare thing, we have other more important things to discuss.
like when are we all free again.
like which movie should we go for when we all are free.
like where should we dinner after that.
like why i need more money.
like why karela is good for loosing wieght.
like why i shouldn't get my hair colored red.
like why i should get my hair colored red.
like... like.. like...

i dont know why, but i feel like saying to myself: "shame on me."

untill next time...

No comments: