Sunday, August 19, 2007

2067

India completed 60 years on independence on August 15, 2007. The newspapers as usual had something special set for that day’s front page. One of them had this whole graphic of India in 2067, 60 years later. Fancy planes instead of cars and new bio-fuels and trans-galactic food and god knows what-not!
I got a little excited that wow, I’ll get to see all this and was animatedly discussing this with a friend, when he pointed out “Honey, you won’t be alive in 2067. You’re 23. 60 years later you’d be 83. That’s a loooong time for anyone to live!”
This realization has depressed to the pits, and I’m moving about blaming my bad sad mood on the economics professor. I mean think about it. You are going to die one day and then you’ll be…well…gone! I know it sounds crazy but I really don’t want to die. I want to see the fancy planes and the parking problems that come with them and of course I want to know if trans-galactic food comes in chocolate flavor and whether it too is fattening. I even tried telling myself that The Bhagvad Geetha professes that the day you realize you are mortal, and are going to die one day, is the day you’ll start living life truly. But nothing seems to work on my mind. I am literally dreading living this moment because it has brought me one moment closer to death.
Don’t get me wrong. I am not some freak (read:girl) who does not want to age and let wrinkles et all spoil her beauty. Please. I hardly even care. But what I am concerned about is that this moment that I had today, this day that I spent with my family, it’s over. It will never come back. And that scares me. Maybe I am scared of the future, so as to what it will bring and where I will be. Maybe. But I definitely know that today where I am, how I am, with who all I am: I am fine. And I DON’T want this to change.
Change.
I never did like this change – thingi anyways. Everything is going fine and along comes change, and well, changes everything. Anyways that is not the point here.
And then there is that other thought which is more depressing and more likely to come true.

Until next time…

2 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

fear of being dead???
ridiculous...
look, ill explain in brief.
life is inexplicable. we have absolutely no clue as to why we exist and heck why we are on this blog either!!!
life isnt about worrying you will be dead, in fact its a journey to a destination. whether you enjoy your journey or not is completely upto you... death is inevitable but mightnt necessarily mean an end to our existance. we might simply discover a better dimension after this one...
live for the moment and kick ass while doing so...
cheers!!!

Abhishek Nayak said...

Dont worry babes... U'll stay beautiful...cos beauty always skin deep.. As for death its inevitable and believe you me, the day described in paper on Aug 15th will come in our life time cos India is not gonna wait for 60 more years to realize all those things, maybe nother 15 years max.