Friday, January 16, 2009

Lost & Found

Lost: one Diamond earring

Found: my old love for bicycling

It was a lucky earning, and not keeping the loss of monetary value in mind, it represents, at least to me, loss of good luck which I desperately need at the moment. I can't remember the exact moment it fell off my ear and neither the place. My mother discovered at the dining table that I was wearing only 1 earring and even after hours of frenzied searching and turning the house upside down I couldn't find it. I was even game for tracing my steps back till I reached college and wherever else I went, but didn't as my parent saw no point in it. At night I dreamt about it: it was lying just within my reach but I couldn't grasp it or that it kept appearing and disappearing as I went to pick it up. I even thought in my dream that this was all a bad dream and it would be over when I got up as God can't be so mean to me in one day! But sadly, it wasn't so.

So to get me out of my depressed sulking, kiki, my darling sister took my cycling. It was at 7 AM and I still hate her for that, but other than that it was good fun! We rented a couple of bicycles and raced around on the Malabar Hill Slopes. The weakling that she is, she lost and was usually far behind me, panting, and trying to catch up. My shouting out: "kick kiki, come on!" had little effect on her speed and more on her disposition towards me! Today morning I remembered what it used to feel like, all those years ago, when as kids we used to cycle for hours and hours. It used to feel like I was flying, the wind in my hair racing along to wherever I want to go. That love for cycling gradually led us to getting mopeds, and once we had mopeds, our cycles rusted away unnoticed for over 12 odd years. In fact I wasn't even sure I still remembered how to ride a bicycle, but apparently there are some things you don't forget and riding a cycle is one of them. Hopefully, we will go back and cycle regularly (only after kiki can walk straight, she seems to have overdone her capacity!)

Until next time…

2 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hmmmm...i have never believed in a lucky charm...although i was always fascinated by the idea of uncle scrooge's lucky coin!
and cycling! awesome!!! i have 3 bicycles in working condition that i still pedal around on in poona! and i love skating too...bought obscenely expensive roller blades whilst i was working...
:P

cute n confused said...

come this side sometine in the eve..we'll bicycle together!
and skating was something tht i always wntd to learn but never got the courage to do so...too scared of fallin..got my parents to buy me zilions of skates though..
as far as the lucky charm thingi goes: its all abt belief..belief tht if a certain something is thr with u thn nothing can go wrong...and its this belief tht gives u a lot of confidence..
i lost my confidence biki...and its all i had!
:(